Sunday 17 April 2011

Writing Assignment #2 - Jake

"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."

This quote stuck in my head because I personallly think that it represents Vonnegut perfectly based on my experiences while reading Slaughterhouse. Earlier in exploring this novel, the class went over a powerpoint about Vonnegut and his life. One of the main topics that caught my attention was that he had always mentioned how he loved Indianapolis and how it made him who he was. As a man from the working-class city of Indianapolis, vonnegut understands that life is tough and will always be tough. He knows that in order to achieve success, you must work hard for it and that you can't always get what you want. In this quote, I think Vonnegut is trying to say that life will not be full of magic and mythical things. Reality is reality no matter how you slice it and there will always be negative things in life, no matter how much money you have and how successful you are. From observing the text of Slaughterhouse, I think that Vonnegut is a very 'matter-of-fact' kind of person and after doing some surface research, I found out that he was an athiest. I think that this quote is also saying that nothing is real until you prove it, which could be a 'stab' (if you will) at religion in general. There are billions of religious people around the world, but in reality, nothing is certain. Those people don't know for sure if there is a God, or Allah, or Buddha, or anything. I believe that this is the message Vonnegut is trying to get accross by using this quote.

No comments:

Post a Comment